HBO came to us with a challenge: how could they build buzz and engagement with a Millennial audience that is the least likely to have access to, or be able to afford HBO? The answer, to lean into HBO GO, their on-demand video service that had gained a reputation for unauthorized password sharing. Instead of running from it, as most of the entertainment industry would, we recommended the opposite– to lean into it, and use it as the avenue for bringing HBO to the next generation.
Enter “Awkward Family Viewing”, a campaign that shined a light on one simple human truth: how awkward it is for teens and parents to watch HBO together. The seven spots were shared across HBO’s social media properties, in digital media, and integrated into HBO’s college campus engagement efforts. The result was one of the most talked about campaigns of the year, with millions of views, press coverage, user generated submissions, and 5 Cannes Lions. Let the HBO GO password sharing begin.
- WSJ: New HBO Go Ads Show The Horror Of Watching Sex Scenes With Mom And Dad
- Huffington Post: HBO Go Says Watching TV Is Better When Done ‘Far, Far Away From Parents’
- Time: HBO Just Created the Most Supremely Uncomfortable Ads of All Time
- Mashable: HBO Knows How Awkward It Is to Watch HBO With Your Parents
- AdWeek: Ad of the Day – Watching Sex Scenes With Your Parents Is Weird, Says HBO
- Fast Company: That Awkward Time You Watched “Game of Thrones” With Your Parents
- AdAge Creativity: Watching ‘Game of Thrones’ With Your Parents Sucks. Use HBO GO Instead.
- TechCrunch: These HBO Go Ads Are Hilarious
- Recode: Here’s to Awkward Family Viewing of “Girls”
- BuzzFeed: These New HBO GO Ads Prove That You Should Never Watch TV With Your Parents
- Cosmopolitan: HBO understands what it’s like to watch Girls and Game of Thrones with your parents
- Entertainment Weekly: HBO Go ads explain why you don’t want to watch HBO with your parents
- Esquire: HBO Makes The Funniest Commercials, Too
- Digg: These Ads For HBO Go Are Brilliant
- Refinery 29: HBO GO’s New Videos Comically Turn Up The Awkward
- Slate: HBO’s New Reason You Need #HBOGoplease
- PC Mag: Awkward! Avoid Watching ‘Girls’ With the ‘Rents With HBO GO
- Cannes Lions // Gold Lion: Film Craft – Casting
- Cannes Lions / Silver Lions: Film Craft – Direction, Film Craft – Script, Film – Internet Film
- Cannes Lions // Bronze Lion: Cyber – Webisodes/Episodes